Looking for a comforting recipe packed full of heart-healthy spices? This delicious beverage combines the flavors (and health benefits) of rooibos tea, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and turmeric for a delightful and aromatic treat. Here’s how to make it:
- 2 cups water
- 2 rooibos tea bags or 2 tablespoons loose rooibos tea
- 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy like almond, soy, or oat milk)
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (adjust to taste)
- Optional: a pinch of black pepper for better turmeric absorption
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, cinnamon stick, ginger slices, allspice, and turmeric. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 5 minutes to infuse the spices and flavors.
- Add the rooibos tea bags or loose rooibos tea to the simmering spice mixture. Let it steep for about 5 minutes, or follow the recommended steeping time for your particular type of rooibos tea.
- While the tea is steeping, warm the milk in a separate saucepan or in the microwave until hot but not boiling.
- Once the rooibos tea has steeped, remove the tea bags or strain out the loose tea leaves, ginger, and spices.
- Add the hot milk to the spiced rooibos tea, and stir well to combine.
- Sweeten the latte with honey or maple syrup to your desired taste. You can adjust the sweetness based on your preference.
- If you like, add a pinch of black pepper to enhance the absorption of the turmeric’s beneficial properties.
- Pour the Spiced Rooibos Tea Latte into mugs and enjoy it hot, savoring the comforting blend of flavors and spices.
This Spiced Rooibos Tea Latte is a wonderful way to enjoy the earthy and slightly sweet taste of rooibos tea along with the warmth and richness of the added spices. It’s perfect any time you crave a soothing and aromatic beverage. Enjoy!
Variation: Iced Tea
To enjoy this as a delicious spicy iced tea, follow all except steps 4 and 6. In other words, leave out the milk. Once you’ve sweetened the tea to your taste, allow it to cool at least to room temperature, then serve over ice.